Thursday, June 18, 2009

Movies that kids love (and dad will too)

I've always loved movies, something I inherited from my father. Animated movies have always been some of my favorites. Here is a list of films for kids that I know dad can love too. There is a broad tradition of animation out there—give it shot, even if it doesn't say 'Disney' on in! Not in any particular order:

Up! (2009) The new Pixar (Disney) movie really caught me off guard when I saw it in theaters. It made me laugh out loud, which is an accomplishment. It's hard to say if this one will stand the test of time, but right now it is one of my favorite Pixar films (maybe better than Toy Story??).

My Neighbor Totoro (1988), by Hayao Miyazaki. One of his best, a VERY kid friendly movie about enchanting (and furry) creatures that live nearby when you're moving into your new house and exploring the nearby enchanted woods. This one definitely stays on the "fantastical" side of things, and doesn't get quite as weird or disturbing as some of his other films.

Disney's Lion King (1994), one of my all-time favorites. Kid-friendly (with a dark side), and how can you not love the music? As an aside, if you're into vintage gaming, I highly recommend this title for the Sega Genesis. Hakuna Matata!


The Secret of NIMH (1982) by Don Bluth. His masterpiece in the style of the greatest Disney movies. Excellent voice acting and character development all around. Your kids will lover Jeremy the crow. Some intense moments, but all worth it at the end. Amazing.


The Last Unicorn (1982). Don't be fooled by the 'Disney' treatment they gave the box art on the DVD release, this movie is dark and scary, sad and touching, laughable and lovable. Harpies, unicorns, the Great Red Bull, gypsies, wizards, this one has it all. Some great songs (in the soundtrack), and even a singing butterfly.

Please let us know if you are enjoying any of these new movies for the first time! Animation can be timeless, and I hope you will share some of these films with your children. I'm not quite a dad yet, but I know our boys will be into dinosaurs. Can you suggest any good dino movies for kids?

2 comments:

  1. If I ever feel like a movie..maybe I would consider one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son watched most of the Land Before Time series when he was younger (he's 10 now) and seemed to enjoy those. He liked the Dinotopia movie too. :)

    ReplyDelete