Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Very Hungry Caterpillar


Since 1967 Eric Carle has been enriching children lives all around the world. I have been using his books for over 15 years to teach children to read, write, create and to learn science concepts. His art work is colorful and bright his use of tissue paper and paint to cut out shapes is very recognizable and his stories are delightful. A personal favorite of mine is Papa Will You Get the Moon For Me. His work is adored by so many children and adults and can often be found on children's bookshelves. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which is celebrating 40 years since it's publication is now available in a pop up book, I recently stumbled upon it in a little independent book shop in Amherst. In Western Massachusetts you can go to the Eric Carle Museum where you can see original art work from his books and the famous illustrator, you can create your own art picture in the hands on musuem and have an organic lunch. It is on a beautiful piece of property and when I was there last there was a VW Bug painted as a Hungry Caterpillar. Be sure to get a cookie with a hole in it at the cafe! No question about it Eric Carle is an author and illustrator worth exploring.


To learn more about Eric Carle visit his website, his blog, your local library, or The Eric Carle Museum in Amherst.


Happy Reading!!!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Eric Carle! My kids, not so much. I had almost every book before they were born and they were just never as interested in them as I was.
    I didn't realize there was a museum though.I bet that is an amazing place to visit (drag the kids to).

    ReplyDelete
  2. this museum is wonderful....for all ages.

    ReplyDelete